In the past few years, since the craft beer craze has started in New Jersey, we’ve started touring and writing reviews of Jersey Shore’s best breweries. Here is a summary of these breweries and the reviews we’ve wrote. It’s not meant to rank them, so we’re listing them North to South.
Cypress Brewing (Edison)
- Hidden in an Edison industrial park, it has a refreshing selection of IPA’s and very flavorful beers.
- Favorites: Cecilia, 17 Mile.
Raritan Bay Brewing (Keansburg)
- A bit hidden off Route 36 in Keansburg, the old red brick building hides a great brewing operation with plenty of good options.
- Favorites: C3, Billy Goat Bock.
Belford Brewing (Middletown)
- A very nice and big location with a neighborhood-style bar. And it’s right around the corner from my house. Focused more on grains than on hops.
- Favorites: Lobster Pot.
Carton Brewing (Atlantic Highlands)
- One of the first and most famous breweries in the Northern part of the shore, with a tasting room that’s always crowded. You probably know many of their beers from Jersey bars.
- Favorites: 077xx, Boat.
Red Tank Brewing (Red Bank)
- Great new watering hole in downtown Red Bank. Just a few beers for starters, but a big tasting room with a nice atmosphere.
- Favorites: Tempus Fugit Pale Ale, St. James Trappist Dubbel.
Triumph Brewing (Red Bank)
- This is one of the hottest new spots around. Not only it has a lot of great beers, but being a brewpub it serves food as well. Very good food!
- Favorites: Bengal Gold IPA, Helles Bock.
Whitechapel Projects (Long Branch)
- Amazing brewpub with trendy design, outdoors dining and great food, just steps from Pier Village.
- Favorites: Raspberry Citra IPA, American Ale.
Kane Brewing (Ocean Twp)
- Another “old” brewery with a huge farm-like tasting room (even if it’s in an industrial area). Lots of amazing beers, and Head High is a staple in shore-area bars.
- Favorites: Head High, Overhead.
Jughandle Brewing (Tinton Falls)
- A brewery that keeps growing its offerings, especially the IPAs, close to Asbury Park and the Jersey Shore outlets.
- Favorites: 4057, Pacifically Speaking.
Dark City Brewing (Asbury Park)
- A hip and trendy location in Asbury, with a cool design and several cool beers.
- Favorites: Double Yellow.
Bradley Brew Project (Bradley Beach)
- Great location a short walk from the beach
- Favorites: From Making Dreams
Beach Haus (Belmar)
- The oldest name from this list and probably the best location as well. In downtown Belmar, with a rooftop terrace overlooking busy Main St. They really got good at specialty IPA’s lately.
- Favorites: Test Dept IPAs.
Last Wave Brewing (Point Pleasant Beach)
- With a great location in downtown Point Beach, this is a buzzing place with great atmosphere and plenty of IPAs.
- Favorites: Board Breaker, A-Frame.
Frye Brewing (Point Pleasant)
- Hidden in Point Boro, it has a cool friendly tasting room and a great variation of beers.
- Favorites: Nuth’r IPA, Fireside Imperial Brown.
Icarus Brewing (Lakewood)
- A hidden gem not far from Point Pleasant Beach, a wide offering of beers with a lot of IPAs. And there’s a food truck outside that you can order food from.
- Favorites: Yacht Juice, We Want the Idaho Gold.
Rinn Duin (Toms River)
- It’s a nice little Irish-style brewery on your way back from Seaside but the beer selection is still limited and there’s no take-home option unless you have a growler.
- Favorites: Dimwit Belgian Ale.
ManaFirkin Brewing (Manahawkin)
- Great beer stop just before the LBI bridge (or after, if you’re leaving the beach). Almost 25 beers on tap!
- Favorites: Ju Sea Shore, Clint Yeastwood, Bang a Wicked Uey.
Ship Bottom Brewery (Ship Bottom)
- Great location in between the LBI beach and the bay, with a great tasting room. One of the rare places where you can try 8 beers (that’s their standard flight!) and like all of them.
- Favorites: The Shack, Stupid Paddle Boat, Beach Patrol Hefe.
Garden State Beer Co (Galloway)
- Right out of Atlantic City, this is a huge brewery, bigger than anything I’ve visited in New Jersey. Very summery feel and some interesting IPAs.
- Favorites: Nor’Easter IPA.
Hidden Sands Brewing (Egg Harbor)
- Very friendly bar, also by the AC Expressway. Using locally sourced ingredients for good beers in a cool tasting room.
- Favorites: Rose Petal Saison.
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.