Red Bank’s first microbrewery opened in mid-October 2018, and we had the pleasure of visiting it on the very first day. Located on Monmouth St next to Jamian’s, Red Tank Brewing could become both a social spot and a must-go destination for beer connoisseurs. It has a big bar and plenty of table seating for almost 100 people. It also has the advantage of being with a few minutes of lots of take-out eateries, so beer drinkers can bring in some food (knowing that New Jersey breweries are barred from serving food).
At opening time, they offered five beers and we tried them all, so here are our first impressions:
- Sona-Gold Kolsch: A traditional German-style beer, light and a bit fizzy, very refreshing.
- Chateau Saison: While not a big fan of saisons, this was as good as it gets! It’s in the Belgian farmhouse style with slight fruity aromas. And it’s very light at 5%.
- Molly Pitcher American Amber: Classic amber ale, with a bit of hoppiness to bring it to 5.5%, a very good beer!
- Tempus Fugit Pale Ale: One of my favorites, a light ale with a mix of hops including mosaic and amarillo. At 5% is a session beer, but with a crisp flavor to satisfy the hop lovers.
- St. James Trappist Dubbel: Probably their best beer so far, it has that complex Belgian flavor that smoothes out its 8.2% ABV into a very tasty brew.
I can’t wait to see what beers they have planned for the near future. They definitely need some IPAs, it’s 2018 and every other local brewery has at least 2 or 3! I was also surprised to see that even an opening day they had cans available (the Saison and the Amber).
Red Tank Brewing is the creation of well-known local wedding photographer John Arcara. His project is the first of the few microbreweries planned in Red Bank, which include the still unnamed one down the street on Monmouth St, and Ross Brewing in the old firehouse. We’re also waiting for the opening of the Triumph brew-pub which will join Birravino.
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.