We started with a series of Jersey Shore brewery reviews… And while Cypress is not really at the shore, it’s in Edison, about a half hour drive from the northern part of the shore. And definitely on the way back for most day-travelers who go to the shore on weekends. Anyway, a very nice Central Jersey brewery!
Cypress Brewing is, as I said, located in Edison near the Parkway / Route 287 junction. It’s kinda well hidden in an industrial park so you have to know it’s there and look for it. But trust me, it’s worth a visit! When I went there were 8 beers on tap for tasting or growler refills, and a nice variety of cans available for sale.
Here’s a recap of the Cypress beers I tried. It was a pleasure drinking in their small cozy tasting room, with a friendly bartender.
- Moochas Grassias – outstanding 8% Imperial IPA. It’s brewed with Lactose (that I starting being very fond of) which gives it a very smooth taste.
- Lighthouse Coconut – A nice, light nut brown with a slight coconut flavor. At 4.6% is a good session beer with great taste.
- Peach Pit – One of their best, a hoppy ale with both vanilla and peach flavors. So smooth you don’t even feel it has 10.5%. Too bad they didn’t have it in cans.
- Cecilia – One of my favorites, a triple dry hopped Imperial IPA. 8.2% of IPA flavors!
- 17 Mile – Another very good IPA. Despite being a strong 7.4%, it feels very nice and you have to be careful not to drink it like a Session.
- The Risktaker and The Gambler – These are sour ales which I’m not a big fan of. First one is papaya-flavored, the other one guava. They’re not very sour, but still not my style.
Whether you live in Central Jersey or are just driving by, we definitely recommend a visit to Cypress, because you’ll love the beers and the friendly atmosphere!
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.