If this great summer weather holds, it would be a great opportunity to come back to the Jersey Shore. Besides the beaches and the ocean, there are many Jersey Shore events on this upcoming weekend (Sep 14-15, 2013). First, there’s a very diversified mix of competitive events, to appeal to runners, bikers, swimmers, surfers and even more.
Belmar Pro Surf is a Pro competition, 8am-8pm between September 12-15, at the 18th Ave Beach.
Miss America returns this year to Atlantic City. Events leading up to the final Competition on Sunday at the Boardwalk Hall include 3 nights of preliminary competitions on Sep 10, 11 and 12 and the “Show Us Your Shoes Parade” on the Boardwalk on Saturday.
There are more competitions on Sunday:
- 3rd Annual Atlantic City International Triathlon. The international race consists of a 1 mile swim, a 20 mile bike, and 10 K run. The Sprint distance race consists of a 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, and 5k run. Triathletes swim in the safe harbors of Atlantic City’s back bay, bike along the Atlantic City Expressway, and run on the World Famous Atlantic City Boardwalk.
- Battle the Beach 5K Challenge Run in Wildwood is an interesting hybrid event – combining a 5K run, the difficulty of running on the sand, the color explosion of a Color Run and the obstacles of a Mud Run. There will be 10-12 obstacles on the beach along a 3.1 mile course, including walls to climb over, tire swings to navigate, a cargo net, tunnels, hurdles, balance beams, sand mounds and water crawls all while on the beach and in the sand.
- Cardboard Boat Regatta is a first-ever event in Wildwood Crest. Each team must make their own boats from cardboard and race them on Sunset Lake. Boats must be constructed the day of the event (between 9-11:45am). Supplies that you can use are cardboard, duct tape, paint, sheets and rope. Paddles are permitted to be used for propulsion.
- Saturday it’s the New Jersey State Firemen’s Parade in Wildwood Crest. Parade begins at 1pm from Cresse & New Jersey Avenue and proceeds North to 20th Avenue. The Parade is generally four hours long and features over 300 pieces of apparatus by over 200 individual companies from four states.
- Red Bank Food and Wine Walk on Sunday is a culinary tour of Red Bank with food tastings at over 20 restaurants, presented by Red Bank Flavour.
- Saturday and Sunday there’s a Fall Family Festival Weekend in Sea Isle City, at JFK Blvd & Promenade. Saturday there are craft and food vendors, live music, children’s activities and a sand sculpting contest, 9am-4pm. Sunday it’s an Antique Auto Show and Parade and Guided Historical Trolley Tours, also with live music 9am-1:30pm.
- Friday to Sunday runs the New Heights Festival. Celebrate Seaside Heights’ 100th birthday with all free events. On Land: live bands, custom car show, freestyle motocross and skateboard stunt shows, elite amateur boxing matches and vendor village with hand-made crafts and more. On the Beach: Friday night bonfire, fireworks, vintage car & motorcycle racing, monster truck rides, yoga, and tai chi. At Sea: Surf demo and competition, stand-up paddle, and wakeboard competition.
- Saturday-Sunday don’t miss the Atlantic City Seafood Festival, a two day extravaganza of fun, food, and entertainment offering event goers the opportunity to treat their taste buds to a large variety of dishes prepared by area restaurants and culinary personalities at Bader Field.
- On Saturday it’s the annual Ocean City Airport Festival, at the Municipal Airport on 26th & Bay Ave, 10am-3pm. Features include a ground display of unusual airplanes ranging from World War II planes to Classics and Warbirds.
- Sunday there’s a Boardwalk Aerobatic Airshow at 1:00pm, best viewed between the 6th–14th Streets. Thrill to some of the best stunt pilots and aerobatic champions in the world.
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.