The forecast looks good for the following days, so here are some events you can enjoy at the Jersey Shore this week.
On Thursday, Long Branch’s Pier Village hosts the 1st Annual Outdoor International Chili Cook-off at the Festival Plaza, 7-9:30pm. Admission is free as area restaurants and Culinary students compete for the best chili that Pier Village devotees have ever tasted.
UPDATE: The Cook-off has been postponed due to the weather!
The Wildwood Fabulous ‘50s Weekend is an annual tribute to the golden oldies, with vendors, a classic car show and live music. Friday at 7pm, at the Convention Center, it’s the ‘50s Record Hop. Saturday, from 11am, Fox Park will host a street fair, the day culminating with the one and only Chubby Checker singing and twisting at 7pm at the Convention Center. Sunday from noon till 3pm the fun returns to Fox Park with free live entertainment.
Sunday, runners will have two major events to attend:
- The 52nd Atlantic City Marathon continues the tradition of America’s third oldest marathon. It is a great race with a stunning, seaside course and with views of the beach and the ocean beyond as you run along the boardwalk, pass the whimsical Lucy the Elephant and finish at Atlantic City’s Historic Boardwalk Hall.
- The Seaside Half Marathon and 5k Race is flat and fast, out and back on the boardwalk and into Island Beach State Park
Atlantic City has a busy week, and not only because of the marathon. This weekend, the Screening Room at Resorts Casino Hotel will host the Downbeach Film Festival, now at its third annual edition. The festival will screen a stellar selection of some 40 features, shorts and documentaries, as well as honor cinematic success stories, such as Chris Mulkey, who plays Boss Frank Hague in “Boardwalk Empire.”
And if you’re in Atlantic City for the film festival, for the race, and just for a weekend of gambling, here are a few shows you can attend in the evenings:
- Friday it’s Dennis Miller at the Borgata, at 9pm
- Saturday, also at Borgata, you can see Rob Schneider’s comedy show at 9pm
- Saturday, the Boardwalk Hall will host the So You Think You Can Dance Tour at 7:30pm. The finalists from the series scheduled to perform are Adechike Torbert, Ashley Galvin, Billy Bell, Jose “Full Deck” Rui, Kent Boyd and the winner Lauren Froderman
If you’re looking to rent a house at the shore, check out ShoreVacations.com, Jersey Shore’s biggest vacation rentals resource. It lists hundreds of rental homes and condos from Sandy Hook all the way down to Cape May (including Belmar, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City or the Wildwoods). It’s a one-stop website for planning your Jersey Shore vacation, featuring beach information, weather updates and more! And of course, it has a full list of all the Jersey Shore events this year.